From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Not encrypted password in memory
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 22:55:15
1 On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 11:20:00PM +0100, Mateusz Mierzwinski wrote:
2 > After making memory dump and editing file in k hex editor I've found
3 > unencrypted password to my linux. I thin'k thats not good because anyone
4 > can read it with some php script with system() execution.
5 > Password is fully readable.
6 You'll need to be a little more explanatory than that. What process did
7 the memory space in question belong to? Was is your system password,
8 your gpg password or what? How were you dumping memory?
9
10 Unless you are running a web-facing PHP as root, a script running
11 system() would only be able to get to it via root exploit or if the
12 password was in a memory space accessible to the same process.
15 Robin Hugh Johnson
16 Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
17 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
18 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85