From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:09:18
1 On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 19:32 -0600, Mikey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 25 January 2006 19:13, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
3 >
4 > > Ahh, so you were the idiot that ran those tests. Congratulations...you
5 > > needlessly did a --emptytree world after you had already done
6 > > --emptrytree system in order to bloat your results.
7 >
8 > RTFM - http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
9
10 Except that is for an *already installed* system.
11
12 Again, you didn't take into account the simple thing called common
13 sense. If you're already going to be doing an "emerge -e system" in
14 there, would it not make sense to:
15
16 emerge -uav gcc
17 gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.4
18 source /etc/profile
19 emerge --oneshot -av libtool
20 emerge -eav system
21
22 Remember that with a stage3 tarball, you don't *have* a world to
23 rebuild, so you're simply rebuilding "system" twice.
24
25 As I said, you're wasting your time (and ours since we're continuing to
26 even talk to you on this).
27
28 At any rate, I'm not going to bother any more with this thread until I
29 rewrite the scripts to not make bad assumptions.
32 Chris Gianelloni
33 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
34 x86 Architecture Team
35 Games - Developer