From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] a virtual advantage ?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:46:40
1 Alex Alexander wrote:
2 >
3 > On Jun 26, 2011 6:56 PM, "Philip Webb" <purslow@××××××××.net
4 > <mailto:purslow@××××××××.net>> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Yesterday, I upgraded 'xorg-drivers' to the latest stable 1.10
7 > > & then found upon rebooting that X failed to recognise the keyboard.
8 > > Yes, it's happened before & I was not surprised:
9 > > I had to switch the machine off, reboot, login as root
10 > > -- experience long ago made me avoid booting directly into a GUI --
11 > > & recompile 'xf86-input-evdev', after which everything returned to
12 > normal.
13 > > Yes, there's a warning after the new 'xorg-drivers' has been installed,
14 > > but I wasn't sure exactly which pkg(s) needed remerging, so took the
15 > chance.
16 > >
17 > > My point is that it looks -- to a naive user -- like a good opportunity
18 > > for another 'virtual', which wb satisfied by Evdev or equivalent.
19 > > This would avoid the problem when busy users miss the warning notice
20 > > (see a current users' thread).
21 > >
22 > > Perhaps this would in turn need an extension of the 'virtual' concept,
23 > > to require rebuilding of the relevant pkg to satisfy the main emerge.
24 > > There is another thread today re 'revdep-rebuild' + Python + Perl,
25 > > which seems to cover a bit of the same ground.
26 > >
27 > > Thanks as always to the devs for their conscientious unpaid efforts.
28 > >
29 > > --
30 > > ========================,,============================================
31 > > SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
32 > > ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
33 > > TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca
37 > portage 2.2 has a nice set for that called @x11-module-rebuild :)
38 >
39 > Alex | wired
42 He doesn't use portage 2.2 so he would have to settle for "qlist -I -C
43 x11-drivers/" instead. I think his point is, it's easy to miss those
44 messages and not know you need to rebuild things. It would be nice if
45 portage did that for him. You know, automagically. ;-)
46
47 Dale
48