From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] EAPI 5+: split PDEPEND introducing SDEPEND
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 15:11:30
1 On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 > Why not introduce a global useflag such as "suggested-deps" which
5 > complies with GLEP 62 meaning it will be in IUSE_RUNTIME.
8 How do you manage to fix the PDEPEND "identity disorder" problem then?
9 Teaching devs to move to GLEP 62 is much harder than just telling them
10 to move dep strings to more appropriate locations.
11 Moreover, your solution just makes the USE flags abuse situation
12 worse: there are packages that use USE flags just to include extra,
13 optional packages in the dependencies... See USE=bluetooth in
14 net-misc/networkmanager for example (this is what I mean with USE
15 flags abuse, actually).
16 I'm not saying that SDEPEND is the best one-size-fits-all solution but
17 you may agree that's the simplest and most effective one.
20 Fabio Erculiani