From: NP Hardass <np.hardass@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making more repoman checks fatal
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 13:07:38
1 On Feb 16, 2015 8:01 AM, "Patrick Lauer" <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Right now repoman is relatively permissive - it whines about many things,
4 but
5 > treats many issues as warning.
6 > The result is that many ebuilds get committed with 'minor' cosmetic issues
7 > which then someone more OCD than the original committer cleans up, making
8 > pretty much everyone involved more unhappy.
9 >
10 > There's no reason to not error out on, for example, an invalid RESTRICT.
11 Just
12 > printing a message is relatively useless.
15 > Thus I suggest making the following warnings proper errors:
16 >
17 > (Taken from current repoman 'qawarnings' set)
18 >
19 > "changelog.missing",
20 > "changelog.notadded",
21 > "digest.assumed",
22 > "digest.unused",
23 > "ebuild.notadded",
24 > "ebuild.nesteddie",
25 > "DESCRIPTION.toolong",
26 > "RESTRICT.invalid",
27 > "ebuild.minorsyn",
28 > "ebuild.badheader",
29 > "metadata.warning",
30 > "LIVEVCS.stable",
31 > "LIVEVCS.unmasked",
32 >
33 > Most of these have few or no occurrences in the current tree, so changing
34 the
35 > default from warn to error won't get in the way of the normal workflow.
36 >
37 > (A few of them, like DESCRIPTION.toolong, still have about a dozen
38 leftovers,
39 > but that should be easy to fix)
40 >
41 > Have fun,
42 >
43 > Patrick
46 I would also like to put forward the idea of a pedantic flag, like with
47 GCC, To make all warnings fatal. Or at minimum, make a lesser flag where
48 certain flags that are not normally fatal, would become fatal.