From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuilds for kde3 beta etc.
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 19:47:01
1 On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 09:40:05PM +0100, Geert Bevin wrote:
2 > Personally I think that since we're steering towards v1.0, stability and
3 > clarity for the regular user should be an important issue. People tend
4 > to ignore warnings or disclaimers and go ahead anyway. Then when it
5 > doesn't work they either get a bad image of the distribution or they ask
6 > questions on the mailinglist or irc channel about the stuff that was
7 > essentially unsupported, taking up valuable developer's time and
8 > patience. I really think that they shouldn't get the opportunity to get
9 > access to those ebuilds unless it's clearly distributed seperately as a
10 > complete alpha (or beta) branch. Just my idea on the topic.
11
12 Correct me if I'm wrong, but on a default install of Gentoo Linux, can't
13 a user log in as root and type "rm -rf /" if they so choose? I understand
14 your view but don't agree with it; an explicit (and very big with lots of
15 *'s in it) warning in the package.mask is sufficient. And I'm calling
16 that my final answer, folks.
17
18 Best Regards,
21 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>