From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New SYMLINK_LIB=no migration tool for review
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 07:24:04
1 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > 'No mainstream' as you claim it doesn't mean it's fine to invent yet
4 > another completely incompatible solution.
5
6 As I understand, the compatibility with Debian might be increased
7 (keeping /lib32), at the cost of slightly decreasing the compatibility
8 with Red Hat (concerning 32bit emulation).
9 So depending on the use case, it might as well be more compatible.
10
11 >> in _all_ /lib* directories
12 >
13 > This is not true.
14
15 You are right, I had made a stupid mistake. (I forgot that I still
16 have the symlink lib->lib64 so that of course I should not have
17 wondered why all ld-* existed in both libs...)
18
19 > the linker uses /lib path independently of how multilib is done
20 > on the system.
21
22 I am not sure whether I understand what you mean.
23 Do you mean that practically sys-libs/binutils or sys-libs/glibc
24 have hardcoded
25 /lib -> 32bit
26 /lib64 -> 64bit
27 (concerning ld-*) unless one patches it out?
28 In this case you are right that there is an upstream to follow.
29 In this case I wonder why Debian decided to patch out this
30 upstream decision to support /lib32.
31
32 > The 32-bit proprietary binaries use exactly /lib which is the main
33 > reason for the switch.
34
35 I thought the main reason for the switch is to avoid the
36 merging of /lib and /lib64 which in bug 506276 led to problems
37 for debugging.
38 For this reason I am afraid that now merging /lib and /lib32
39 might again lead to a similar type of problems.
40 I am aware that exactly the cited problem is now mitigated,
41 because this time the merging does not happen over a symlink.
42 But anyway, it seems unnatural when "curing" from a merge to
43 decide to merge something else.