From: George Prowse <george.prowse@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Quantity of open bugs
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 08:25:35
1 On 10/03/2011 20:25, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I was nosing through bugzilla, and noticed:
5 >
6 > * Number of open bugs is greater than 14,000
7 > * Number of open bugs untouched for more than 2 years - well over 2000.
8 > * Number of open bugs untouched between 1 and 2 years - well over 2000.
9 > * Number of open bugs untouched between 6 months and 1 year - well over
10 > 2000.
11 > * Number of open bugs untouched between 3 months and 6 months - over
14 > The winner is bug #78406, which hasn't been touched for over 2240 days
15 > - over 6 years - at the time of writing.
16 >
17 > I would guess these old untouched bugs aren't actually going to be
18 > touched, ever - a lot simply won't be relevant any more for one reason
19 > or another. All they're doing is cluttering up bugzilla.
22 > So I'd like to suggest a drastic, perhaps controversial action. Mark
23 > all bugs that haven't been touched for over (say) 3 months as
24 > "Resolved:Wontfix", with a polite comment saying that it is closed due
25 > to lack of resource amongst the volunteer developer community. I'm
26 > sure a suitable bugzilla script wiz could do that relatively
27 > easily. Users who care about such bugs can still comment on them, or
28 > talk directly to the assigned dev to highlight it's still a relevant
29 > issue to them, or even to supply a solution against the current tree.
30 >
31 > It could be an ongoing policy, in which case, users who care about
32 > them can keep bugs alive simply by posting useful updates to the bug,
33 > describing how the issue still applies to a new revision for example.
34 >
35 > Just a thought from an old ex-dev...
36 >
37 > Kev.
38 >
39 Why not give userrel a list of 2000 bugs from 6 years old to 6 months
40 old to elcit help from the community?
41
42 A dev could look why a user marked it cantfix e.g. "refers to outdated
43 version of baselayout" and tick it off the list so it no longer appears.
44
45 G