From: Ben Lutgens <blutgens@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Porting gentoo to the Alpha
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 06:09:17
1 On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 06:17:17PM -0400, derosa wrote:
2 >I have recently set up an alpha machine running rh 7.1. I would like to port
3 >gentoo to the alpha chipset.
4 >My questions:
5 >Are there any parts of the portage tree that are binary ?
6 >Would it make more sense to start from rc6 build or rc5 build ?
9 Heh, this is open source in action. Someone installs something they like,
10 it doesn't work on a platform they want to use it on so they decide to do
11 a port! I love it! Thanks to you and Atma we may end up with alpha and
12 x86 ports.
13
14 Thank you for the contributions.
15
16 drobbins, is there anything we'd need to do to the packages in the
17 portage tree to make them "portable" among archs? I'd think that once
18 glibc and gcc are setup everything would just sorta fall into place from
19 CFLAGS="" etc.
23 Ben Lutgens
24 Gentoo Linux Developer and Anti-Okra Advocate
25
26 http://www.gentoo.org