From: Robert Thomas <rwt@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] how CVS ebuilds are managed
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:21:43
1 Instead of having a separate package for a cvs version of a package, why
2 not consider the cvs version to be the latest version of a package, but
3 always marked unstable? Since the cvs version of a package usually
4 overwrites the existing version, the old version should be automagically
5 unmerged. For example, in the case of gaim and gaim-cvs, if the cvs
6 version of gaim is installed, the stable version should be unmerged as
7 if it was an old version of the package. Perhaps there is another way to
8 manage this.
9 In the case of binary packages (like openoffice-bin), they should also
10 be considered to be the same package, but still kept separate in some way.
11 Perhaps another USE flag?
12 # USE="bin" emerge openoffice
13
14 Or maybe cvs could be a new keyword:
15 # ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="cvs" emerge gaim
16
17 Ok, I really am talking out of the wrong orifice here, and I know that
18 these ideas are probably a misuse of USE flags and KEYWORDS. I would
19 just like to know if something like this could work (not necessarily the
20 way I've described it, perhaps a different extention to the version
21 calculating routine altogether), or if there is a reason these packages
22 are managed the way they are (by "these" I mean all packages ending in
23 "-bin" or "-cvs").
26 Cicero (Robert Thomas)
27 CS Major @ GA Tech
28 Email: rwt@×××××××××.edu