From: Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: Trouble with emerge
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 10:17:32
1 David [] wrote:
2 Mark Bainter [mark-gt@×××××.org] wrote:
3 > > I sent this message to gentoo-user the other day, but have gotten
4 > > no response. I'm hoping someone here can provide some insight. I
5 > > used google to search the archives and I did find one message that
6 > > was similar to this problem indicating that it was a syntax issue,
7 > > and to make sure "'s were closed, etc, in the make.conf files. I
8 > > did that and I didn't find anything out of the ordinary. I also
9 > > checked to make sure my conf files weren't missing anything that was
10 > > in the cvs versions, and I didn't see anything.
11 > >
12 > > Anyone have any suggestions for fixing this problem?
13 >
14 > It really does look like your make.conf (or perhaps make.globals,
15 > make.defaults or use.defaults, though these are not supposed to be
16 > edited) is messed up. The syntax is a bit fussy, so it may be something
17 > like a space in the wrong place etc. Unless you've spent hours
18 > customising them and can't bear to lose them, why not update them by
19 > untarring the portage tbz2 found in /usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/files/ ?
20
21 Already tried that. I even tried following the README.RESCUE directions
22 within that dir to use the rescue version of portage. It gives me the
23 exact same error.