From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Documentation Encoding
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 14:07:27
1 Damian Szeluga wrote:
2 > I'm using UTF-8 encoding in my system. The main problem is, that lots
3 > of /usr/share/man/* and /usr/share/doc/* files are iso8859-2 encoded (as my
4 > LINGUAS is set to pl). I think, that Portage itself should recode all the
5 > files, which go to /usr/share/man/ and /usr/share/doc/ directories to UTF-8
6 > by default.
7 Not sure if that will be an easy task since the source encoding is probably not
8 known. Probably this should go upstream?
9
10 > There's also a problem with Groff, which is unable to show
11 > unicode chars correctly. I made a package to solve it
12 > (http://hoth.amu.edu.pl/~d_szeluga/groff-utf8.tar.bz2), but I think it's a
13 > bit dirty hack.
14 I am absolutely out of time now, hope to be able to look at it in a week.
15 .. actually I had a look :-) So this is a different package from groff as it seems.
16 http://www.haible.de/bruno/packages-groff-utf8.html
17
18 Dunnow, but probably trying to integrate UTF-8 support in groff and working with
19 upstream should be doable if that package is working?
20 We in JP land often have problems with Japanese man pages and others and there was
21 a patch floating around (USE=cjk emerge groff) that kind of solves the problem a bit.
22
23 So, fixing groff is definately a good idea!
24 Any takers? ;-)
25
26 The last time I looked in the code I couldn't make much out of it :-(
27
28 Kalin.
32 +-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list