From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Herds, Teams and Projects
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:58:00
1 Hi Seemant,
2
3 On 4/27/06, Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > Hi All,
6 >
7 > Consider this both a rant and a GLEP pre-proposal. When we created the
8 > idea of herds back in the day, there was a clear distinction between a
9 > herd and a team (and a project). Over time, those definitions have
10 > become blurry. I would like emphasise:
11 >
12 > A herd is a group of like *packages*
13 > A team is a bunch of people who share a common goal (sometimes to
14 > maintain a herd of packages).
15 > A herd is also a bunch of mindless beasts who follow each other.
16
17 The metastructure document (which we voted in as our governing
18 document last year) uses the term 'project' instead of team, and makes
19 no mention of herds at all.
20
21 I think the way forward would be to have this clarification (of herds
22 vs teams) added to the metastructure document, and then for us to sort
23 out the metadata.xml files on the back of that.
24
25 I guess any change to that document should be subject to a vote.
26
27 Best regards,
28 Stu
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list