From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Gentoo vs GNU toolchain (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags)
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 22:21:54
1 On Friday 07 July 2006 17:53, Harald van Dijk wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 05:12:21PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Friday 07 July 2006 01:46, Harald van Dijk wrote:
4 > > > On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 07:44:34PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > > > > On Thursday 06 July 2006 16:14, Harald van Dijk wrote:
6 > > > > > Gentoo's gcc with the vanilla flag isn't the official GCC. Most
7 > > > > > patches don't get appplied, but some do. Plus, gcc[vanilla] isn't a
8 > > > > > supported compiler in Gentoo.
9 > > > >
10 > > > > you're just griping because i forced ssp/pie regardless of
11 > > > > USE=vanilla ...
12 > > >
13 > > > I didn't mind that you applied ssp/pie patches regardless of
14 > > > USE=vanilla, I did mind that you applied the stub patches with
15 > > > USE="nossp vanilla", and I also didn't like that this was either done
16 > > > accidentally but ignored when pointed out, or that this was done
17 > > > deliberately with a misleading cvs log message.
18 > >
19 > > it was not ignored, i told you the answer was no ... i listened to your
20 > > request and then i evaluated the situation and deemed at the time to go
21 > > with what we have now. see how your usage of "ignored" is incorrect here
22 > > ?
23 >
24 > Actually, you did ignore. The below text refers to something older.
25
26 ignored *what* then ? you requested USE=vanilla control ssp, i said no and
27 i'll add support for USE=nossp ... you requested USE/stub control, i said no,
28 go delete the stubs
29
30 i dont see what else you're referring to ... be specific, vague claims only
31 lead to wasting of both our times
32
33 > > > I don't know how much gcc-spec-env.patch can be trusted, and even if it
34 > > > is 100% safe, such patches don't belong in anything that would be
35 > > > called "vanilla". (I have commented on that patch long before this
36 > > > thread started, so don't think I'm just looking for something to
37 > > > complain about now.)
38 > >
39 > > you never pointed that patch out to me nor did i notice it, so i dont
40 > > really see how you could have expected this to be fixed already
41 >
42 > I didn't point that out to you, I pointed that out to another of the
43 > toolchain guys. I'm not completely sure who, but I think it was
44 > Halcy0n.
45
46 all bets are off now then ... with Halcy0n leaving us, that leaves me as the
47 only person maintaining the toolchain (there are few devs who contribute
48 fixes for their ports and it helps out a ton, but that doesnt really count as
49 being fully responsible for the toolchain packages). no more making
50 retroactive claims when i wasnt involved ;P
51
52 i trust azarah to help out, but he's been busy in real life so i havent/wont
53 ask him to contribute since i know he cannot (even if he wants to)
54 -mike