From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:41:07
1 On Wednesday 29 September 2004 9:39 am, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 29 September 2004 03:57, Luke-Jr wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 28 September 2004 7:23 pm, Mark Dierolf wrote:
4 > > > This whole conversation has gotten out of hand. Step back and realize
5 > > > that a massive portion of gentoo's userbase wants/needs dhcp. It's a
6 > > > big thing.
7 > >
8 > > A massive portion might *need* PPPoE. DHCP is *almost never* required
9 > > to get on a network. In almost every DHCP-based network, users can set
10 > > a static IP and get connectivity without any problem. This includes
11 > > every Cable ISP I have encountered.
12 >
13 > Only if you know which IP address you're supposed to have and which
14 > nameservers it could be possible (if not blocked which is very easy and
15 > smart from the ISP side).
16 >
17 > Paul
18 I don't use my ISP's nameservers anyway, since they are ICANN-only. Often,
19 I've found I can set my IP to anything valid in the local area's range, not
20 just the one I'm "supposed to have" and it works.
21 --
22 Luke-Jr
23 Developer, Utopios
24 http://utopios.org/