From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Soliciting input for a non-maintainer update (NMU) GLEP
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 01:06:37
1 On Friday 21 June 2013 20:26:03 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 08:17:38PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > > I'm not going into review systems here at all, I'm simply trying to
4 > > > have a policy of what changes are welcomed/blocked WITHOUT interaction
5 > > > from the listed maintainer(s) of a given package/herd.
6 > >
7 > > add a new field to metadata.xml that declares the state. make it an enum:
8 > > ANYTHING_GOES (the default)
9 > > REQUIRES_HERD
10 > > REQUIRES_MAINTAINER
11 >
12 > I wish it was that easy.
13 >
14 > Despite being ANYTHING_GOES on most of my packages, I don't want people
15 > to add giant features like qmail patchbombs; so we need to figure out
16 > something like the Debian NMU listing of what's acceptable.
17
18 the maintainers intent has to be machine codable
19
20 > Does this need to be coded in the metadata?
21
22 yes. we already have maintainer info in there, and putting it anywhere else
23 is doomed to failure.
24
25 > Does a version bump count as an acceptable trivial change?
26
27 that's up to the maintainer
28 -mike