From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@×××××××××××.net
Subject: [gentoo-dev] -r14 build successful
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:46:21
1 Hi All,
2
3 I just wanted to let everyone know that I just set up a new Gentoo Linux
4 system from scratch using the new -r14 ISO. In fact, I got everything
5 going on a root XFS filesystem with no problems. Here's what I used for
6 my install:
7
8 in /etc/make.conf:
9 The default USE settings
10 The default i686-only CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and CHOST settings
11
12 (Note: for those of you having problems with your build, I recommend
13 *starting* with the default USE settings (yes, before bootstrap, as in
14 the instructions) and then try removing the things you *know* you don't
15 want.)
16
17 I only found one minor installation quirk. The mountpoint for the boot
18 filesystem was listed as /mnt/boot instead of /boot -- both in the
19 instructions and in the real file. It should be set to /boot. Of
20 course, /etc/hosts was empty until the point in the install instructions
21 where I was told to add entries to the file, but sys-devel/perl built
22 fine anyway. It looks like perl just needs the lo interface, not
23 necessarily the "localhost" hostname defined.
24
25 Oh, and for everyone who wants to use XFS as a root filesystem, be sure
26 to enable "Page Buffer Support" and "XFS filesystem support" in your
27 kernel, and merge sys-apps/xfsprogs before your reboot. I actually forgot
28 to merge xfsprogs before I rebooted, and everything was fine, but that's
29 generally not a good idea.
30
31 Best Regards,
34 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>