From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New global useflag proposals
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 04:41:49
1 Alexis Ballier posted on Fri, 23 Nov 2012 18:11:30 -0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > I remember I was more or less against [USE=introspection] being global
4 > back then, but now I must admit its meaning is quite clear and that I
5 > don't consider it local anymore (I enable/disable it in make.conf not
6 > package.use), so I'd say go for it.
7
8 FWIW as a (long-time reasonably technical, even for gentoo) gentoo user,
9 with very few exceptions, ALL my flags are in make.conf (actually, in a
10 file /etc/portage/make/use, sourced from make.conf, as are several other
11 files in that dir, make.conf itself is simply a bunch of source lines,
12 but whatever), and thus "global" in terms of my own usage.
13
14 I /consistently/ run with --ask/--pretend and verify flags on new
15 packages, as well as checking any flag changes on existing packages, and
16 making a system-wide-default decision once seems the easiest and most
17 reasonable way to handle it, here.
18
19 Then when I decide to change it for a package, I run equery hasuse and
20 see what else uses that flag, then grep for it in both package.use/* and
21 make/use, then change it globally if possible and run a --newuse --
22 pretend to see what changed, and decide then whether I want to keep the
23 global change or if I want some packages each way, decide what I want the
24 default to be, and put the others in package.use/*.
25
26 There are only two exception packages, udev and ncmpc. Otherwise, even
27 my package.use files are per-USE-flag. One ls is worth a thousand-word
30 $ ls /etc/portage/package.use/
31 0neg-amr 0neg-network doc secure-delete
32 0neg-bindist 0neg-openssl gtk sql
33 0neg-custom-cflags 0neg-qt4 minimal suid
34 0neg-deprecated 0neg-threads perl text
35 0neg-faac 0neg-webkit pic unlock-notify
36 0neg-gnutls 0neg-xml pipe webkit
37 0neg-gpg 0neg-zeroconf python zzpkg-ncmpc
38 0neg-kde 0neg-zlib sdl zzpkg-udev
41 I'd guess that the global/local USE flag distinction is in practice lost
42 on most users, and that of those that /do/ know the technical difference,
43 likely most use make.conf for most local USE flags anyway, at least
44 setting a system default, from which individual packages may deviate via
45 package.use. That's certainly the case here.
46
47 Given that, I'd argue that the global/local USE flag distinction is
48 almost entirely maintainer convenience (tho I'm not sure it actually /is/
49 a convenience, at least for those who bother to fill in the per-package
50 metadata description of what it's actually doing for that package) in any
51 case, and I'd just as soon get rid of it, keeping a global description of
52 ALL USE flags, regardless, and mandating appropriate metadata.xml local
53 descriptions regardless as well.
54
55 That way, global flags such as python would actually have reasonable per-
56 package descriptions. Does it simply enable python script bindings?
57 Does it enable installation of a bunch of python scripts? Does it enable
58 a python-script extension for the package? What? The global python flag
59 doesn't say, and far too few packages with the global python USE flag
60 have a local description saying what it actually DOES. Unfortunately,
61 that's the case with (raw guess) half the USE flag usage out there -- the
62 gentooer has to actually read the ebuild to see what the flag does /for/
63 /that/ /package/, even tho the description SHOULD be in metadata.xml,
64 thus exposed via equery uses, even for global flags.
69 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman