From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage2 super USE flag suggestin
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:12:59
1 On Thursday 18 July 2002 17:55, maciek@×××××××.net wrote:
2 > However, a simpler solution would be to introduce some priority
3 > of USE flags. "-X" would also say -gtk because gtk depends on X.
4 > Then, we could eventually introduce f.e. "sound" use flag and make
5 > alsa, oss... dependant on it.
6
7 USE Flags only work on _optional_ dependencies. GTK+ needs X so it doesn't
8 matter if you have -X in your USE flag GTK+ still needs X even if you don't
9 want X. So if you want GTK+ you _have_ to install X.
10
11 I think the "more make.defaults files" solution is the best. It sucks to first
12 have to see through the make.defaults, copy everything and put a - in front
13 of nearly every word just to get a server up and running without X :)
14
15 Alex
18 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
19 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
20 Benjamin Franklin