From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] automatically killing invalid CFLAGS/warning about bad CFLAGS
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 02:24:05
1 Patrick McLean wrote:
2 > For about a month now, we (amd64) have had some code in our
3 > profile.bashrc that filters CFLAGS that are unrecognized by gcc, and
4 > warnings the user about bad CFLAGS.
5 >
6 > So far it has worked fairly well, and it has really cut down on the
7 > number of bugs that filed by people with extreme ricer CFLAGS. It might
8 > be an idea to have something similar in the global bashrc, and have a
9 > system for arches to customize the CFLAGS that are warned about.
10 >
11 > The code is at gentoo-x86/profiles/default-linux/amd64/profile.bashrc
12 > for those who want to see it.
13
14 Except you need a way for them to turn it off, and you do not currently
15 provide one. We can set default flags all we want, but I don't see
16 filtering 'bad' flags as necessarily our problem. If you want to say:
17
18 "Hey we have had issues with people filing bogus bug reports with CFLAGS
19 that are completely inappropriate, so by default we check the sanity of
20 your CFLAGS, this is how you turn those checks off." then I'd be ok with it.
21
22 Most of the Ricers won't read it, and maybe you can print a warning that
23 CFLAG checking is disabled.
24
25 However leaving it on all the time merely imposes penalties on the power
26 users who wish to use your profile. Your profile is a tool that should
27 be useful to all classes of users.
28
29 -Alec Warner
30 --