From: Robert Moss <robmoss@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Common make.conf screwups?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:34:21
1 A couple of CFLAGS that were never stable in any version of gcc:
2
3 -freduce-all-givs
4 -mfpmath=sse,387
5
6 The first flag will break things such as gcc, glibc, the kernel,
7 binutils, bash and other nontrivial packages with every version of gcc
8 I've ever tried (which is most of them). The flag has been denoted an
9 experiment gone wrong and is no longer in CVS HEAD. The latter flag
10 doesn't work properly and generates bad (sometimes segfaulting) code
11 wherever SSE-related inline assembly is involved, and is slower than
12 either -mfpmath=sse or -mfpmath=387 in 100% of cases according to those
13 upstream.
14
15 But yeah, -freduce-all-givs is a far, FAR more dangerous global flag
16 than -ffast-math, which can in theory give you a working (if not
17 supported) system when set globally.
18
19 Also, perhaps highlight -fPIC in those cases where it shouldn't be used?
20 Is that possible? Ehm. I don't mean that. Is that feasible? :-P
21
22 Rob
23
24 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
25 > I've got some better vim syntax highlighting rules for make.conf lined
26 > up to go into the next app-vim/gentoo-syntax. One of the things that
27 > this lets me do is highlighting of (some kinds of) mistakes. What're the
28 > most common screwups that people see? My current list is:
29 >
30 > * CFLAGS: -0[123s] instead of -O[123s], -ffast-math globally
31 >
32 > * USE: +foo flags
33 >
34 > * ACCEPT_KEYWORDS: random duff entries (syntax is easy enough for me to
35 > validate the whole thing)
36 >
37 > * CHOST: there're certain settings that will cause glibc to fall over
38 > and die that people who are used to debian/sparc will sometimes use
39 >
40 > * MAKEOPTS: I'm kinda tempted to highlight "-j N" (where n is integer)