From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in profiles/default/linux/make.defaults
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:05:20
1 On 06/28/2010 10:51 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:44:54 +0300
3 > Samuli Suominen<ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> You've forgotten "make --as-needed not break correct code by making
5 >>> the linker ignore explicit instructions from a program author to
6 >>> link two things together". Until you do that, --as-needed is in the
7 >>> same category as -ffast-math.
8 >>
9 >> And we can't be held hostage by few packages (marginal cases), that's
10 >> why we have function called $(no-as-needed) in flag-o-matic.eclass to
11 >> disable the behavior for these packages.
12 >
13 > Will Gentoo be doing the same for -Ofast and its flags then? After all,
14 > most packages work with them, and you can't let the few packages that
15 > require standard-compliant behaviour from a compiler hold Gentoo
16 > hostage.
17
18 --as-needed is a flag that tries to solve a specific (and very annoying)
19 problem. It deserves a bit of special treatment. It's not a ricer flag :-)