From: Alex Turbov <i.zaufi@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should Sphinx really depends on PYTHON_COMPAT/PYTHON_USEDEP for `dev-python/*` ebuilds?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 06:20:24
1 On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > Few janitorial notes for a start:
6 >
7 > 1. please fix your line wrapping since your messages are wrapped twice
8 > now, and it's really hard to read with single words on every second
9 > line;
12 sorry, I don't understand what are you talking about... probably some
13 problem with your email client (or whatever you use).
14 I'm using gmail's web UI and see no double wraps...
18 > 2. hardcore Python topics belong on gentoo-python@ but I guess we'll
19 > continue here,
22 I don't see this ML here: https://gentoo.org/get-involved/mailing-lists/ so
23 I decided to use `gentoo-dev`
27 > 3. please keep your messages brief. The first three paragraphs tell
28 > a thing that could be told in one sentence.
31 I've got no idea what message format is "usual" in this ML... from my
32 experience talking to various "tech support" and bug trackers ppl usually
33 asking a lot of stupid questions if I wrote just "one sentence"...
37 > You can't use python_targets directly since it will break when the old
38 > implementations are disabled (and also make it PITA for others to add
39 > new impls).
42 Ok, what I can use instead?
47 > Long story short, it's not worth the effort.
48 >
49 > Yes, most of the time people specify PYTHON_USEDEP on sphinx needlessly.
50 > There are two other major cases when you need it though:
51 >
52 > 1. things like autointerface that interface with packages' code,
55 what are you talking about? (
56 https://pypi.python.org/pypi/repoze.sphinx.autointerface/ ??)
60 > 2. and packages calling sphinx via 'python /usr/bin/sphinx ...' (i.e.
61 > requiring impl match between python in use and sphinx).
64 do you mean they are doing it from ebuild?
68 > In fact, I'm personally leaning towards not building docs at all
69 > in ebuilds. It's practically a wasted effort since most of the time
70 > users read docs online anyway.
73 unfortunately I'm travelling a lot and really often in places where
74 Internet connection is far from good. it is why I like to have offline docs
75 for some packages. moreover I really hate when some docs are not really
76 offline and want to load google fonts or JS :(
80 > However, tracking the other uses down and figuring them is not worth
81 > the effort. In the end, someone will probably add it back thinking
82 > someone must've missed it. It's too hard to get it right.
85 I didn't get what are you talking about...
88 > Building Sphinx with less implementations than its reverse dependencies
89 > is a corner case. It's not really worth spending hours making sure
90 > depends are 100% strictly correct. The more important goal is to have
91 > things working reliably, and overspecified deps are reliable, i.e.
92 > packages won't fail to build because of them.
95 Ok, seems I've got your point of view, but can't agree w/ it... Well, I
96 would fight alone w/ it
99 > --
100 > Best regards,
101 > Michał Górny