From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: should openrc be mandatory on all gentoo systems?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 11:49:07
1 On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 5:08 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > We tolerate the systemd madness as long as it doesn't interfere with
3 > other things.
4
5 I'd say that "welcome" is a better word than "tolerate" - after all,
6 Gentoo is about choice. :)
7
8 Still, I do agree that we should avoid disruptive changes to existing
9 system packages for the sake of packages that are still fairly
10 experimental on Gentoo. The most elegant solution is probably to
11 split up openrc, but the original suggestion was to just make an
12 "openrc-lite" of some sort and that seems like a much safer interim
13 solution until systemd has some kind of critical mass around it. By
14 then there might be a few other experimental init systems floating
15 around and any serious changes might be more informed than anything we
16 do now.
17
18 The advantages and disadvantages of any particular init system,
19 desktop environment, or text-editor/OS-combo aren't terribly relevant
20 to this issue.
21
22 Rich