From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: explicit -r0 in ebuild filename
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:56:34
1 Ioannis Aslanidis wrote:
2 > If you are asking about mathematic stright definition:
3 >
4 > negative integer: -inf,...,-1
5 > positive integer: 1,...,inf
6 > natural: 0,...,inf
7 >
8 > The group of natural numbers includes the positive integers and zero.
9 > That is the definition in most places in the world; however, in the
10 > United States and a few more countries, non-negative integers is how
11 > the lot is called.
14 I was going to dig back to my math minor and wax eloquent about how this
15 is incorrect, but it turns out we're both right:
16
17 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_numbers
18
19 The natural numbers may or may not include zero depending on who's using
20 the term. That was actually news to me - my understanding is that zero
21 was not considered a natural number, but it was considered a whole number.
22
23 And now that we've totally drifted off topic here I'll be quiet...
24 --
25 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list