From: plasmaroo@gentoo.org (Tim Yamin)
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:31:47
1 On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 01:55:01PM -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > > CVS doesn't do branching nor tags very well...
3 > >
4 > > __Problem: CVS__
5 > >
6 > > CVS is one of the worst application ever created. The portage tree
7 > > needs to move to subversion. A lot of the problems within the project
8 > > would be solved by using a better SCM system. The previous problems
9 > > regarding the Live Tree and Developer Growth would be solved, IMHO, by
10 > > just switching. Branches Work. Tags Work. Reverts work. Moves
11 > > work. I don't see any reason not to use it. It just plain works.
12 >
13 > Have you tried using SVN for the portage tree? I don't know if anybody
14 > has recently, but in the past when people tried there were two
15 > significant problems: SVN requires at least 2x the tree size for storage
16 > on the local machine, and checkouts take something akin to an order of
17 > magnitude longer than CVS. The former is annoying, but liveable, but
18 > the latter is a deal-breaker.
19
20 Speaking of which, has anybody done any tests with svk? (http://svk.elixus.org)
21 And: http://svk.elixus.org/?WhySVK -- it would be interesting to compare