From: Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Services and software which is critical for Gentoo should be developed/run in Gentoo namespace
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 15:36:38
1 Hi,
2
3 > However, we are still facing the same problem: Only one person is
4 > involved in development and knows how to run it. In case something will
5 > break again and Michał will be unavailable, we can’t just push a fix and
6 > watch a CI pipeline picking up and deploying new nattka. Instead someone
7 > will have to fork repository from Michał’s private repository at GitHub,
8 > make the changes and hope that anyone within infrastructure team can
9 > help to deploy fixed nattka.
10
11 The heart of a distribution is basically its infrastructure and the
12 tools to test, maintain and distribute packages.
13
14 If a distribution relies on external sources, which are not maintained
15 by the distribution, but a single person, it has been forked.
16
17 A healthy distribution needs to maintain its own tools.
20 Best,
21 Jonas