From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:31:00
1 On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 12:25 -0400, Luis F. Araujo wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 >
4 > >On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 22:46 +0200, Simon Stelling wrote:
7 > >>Stuart Herbert wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >>
10 > >>>I've no personal problem with arch teams sometimes needing to do their
11 > >>>own thing, provided it's confined to a specific class of package.
12 > >>>Outside of the core packages required to boot & maintain a platform,
13 > >>>when is there ever a need for arch maintainers to decide that they know
14 > >>>better than package maintainers?
15 > >>>
16 > >>>
17 > >>I assume you're talking of the case where arch team and maintainer's arch are
18 > >>the same. I think normally package maintainers can decide better whether their
19 > >>package should go stable on their arch than an arch team, as they get all the
20 > >>bugs for it. On the other hand, we can't define a "maintainer arch" in many
21 > >>cases, so either we leave the authority to the arch team or we'll just have an
22 > >>x86 arch team without the expected effects.
23 > >>
24 > >>
25 > >
26 > >I still think that the concept of a "maintainer arch" is completely
27 > >broken anyway. I like the idea of adding something like a "maint"
28 > >KEYWORD, or something similar to mark that the ebuild is considered
29 > >"stable" material by the maintainer.
32 > This keyword would be independent of any arch right?
33
34 Correct.
35
36 It would be a KEYWORD or some other variable that says "I'm the
37 maintainer, and I say it is ready to go stable" without relying on any
38 particular architecture to be an indicator of stability.
41 Chris Gianelloni
43 Games - Developer
44 Gentoo Linux