From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LaTeX documentation
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 21:28:29
1 On Tue, 13 May 2008 16:57:02 +0200
2 Patrick Kursawe <phosphan@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 09:23:29PM +0000, Andrey Grozin wrote:
5 > [...]
6 > > Most disturbingly, there are a number of packages which (probably)
7 > > run latex and do neither addwrite nor VARTEXFONTS. An incomplete
8 > > list of such suspect packages is (for now, I only considered
9 > > packages not directly related to TeX/LaTeX, i.e., not in dev-tex or
10 > > dev-texlive and not TeX/LaTeX packages in app-text):
11 > [...]
12 > > media-gfx/sane-backends
13 > [...]
14 > > What do you think?
15 >
16 > sane-backends had font generation disabled, but I changed it to the
17 > VARTEXFONTS method for now. Wouldn't it be better to populate this
18 > temporary directory with links to existing cached fonts or something
19 > like this? I don't know much about latex internals, but computing the
20 > fonts always because one _might_ be written sounds like a bad idea.
21
22 Normally VARTEXFONTS is for writting fonts one needs to generate;
23 however, with the usual default configurations files I've seen,
24 overriding it will make the various apps needing 'em not see the
25 default font cache directory. I've committed a new tl-core ebuild with
26 default configuration files that will let it see the old font cache
27 directory even if VARTEXFONTS is changed, but will of course write to
28 VARTEXFONTS.
29 This should be what you were asking for ;)
30
31 Regards,
32
33 Alexis.