From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:16:26
1 On Thursday 24 August 2006 09:54, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > The council doesn't actually do anything AFAICT, it just "approves" GLEP
3 > decisions that have already been made. So in effect we have no leadership.
4
5 Well, to quote the council project page:
6
7 "The elected Gentoo Council decides on global issues and policies that affect
8 multiple projects in Gentoo."
9
10 and from GLEP 19
11
12 "Global issues will be decided by an elected Gentoo council."
13
14 So yes, the council is not elected to rule into decisions of single Gentoo
15 project decisions, unless it affects Gentoo globally. What "global issues"
16 are can be argued about, though. Personally I see the council as our body to
17 make decisions and wouldn't disagree to reword the base on which the council
18 acts to give them explicitly the power to decide on whatever they feel they
19 have to, if necessary - except being bound to have to be re-elected.
22 I'm not as long on board as you Donnie, but I don't think you're right with
23 your implicit call that we need a benevolant dictator. There's simply no
24 evidence, that this model would have done better with Gentoo's growth. I have
25 at least one big point I could list, what went wrong, while Daniel Robbins
26 was the lead. Ask me privately, if you're interested what I mean. I don't
27 want to let others look bad or be the source of flaming.
30 Carsten