From: Alexey Sokolov <alexey+gentoo@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Declare the type of source
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 13:04:32
1 Hi
2
3 28.06.2021 14:00, Agostino Sarubbo пишет:
4 > Hello all,
5 >
6 > long story short:
7 >
8 > when there is a major change (new gcc, new libc, and so on), tinderbox takes a
9 > lot of time to test the entire tree.
10 >
11 > Let's do a practical example:
12 > A new version of sys-devel/gcc is added to the tree.
13 >
14 > There is no way to know how much packages compiles C/C++ code, so the easiest
15 > way is compile the entire tree.
16 >
17 > Instead, imagine that each ebuild declares a variable called SOURCETYPE ( or
18 > similar, or in metadata.xml if you prefer ) and with a tool like equery/eix we
19 > are able to get the list of all packages that compiles C code.
20 >
21 > The same thing applies to other languages like python, ruby, go and so on
22 > where compile the dev-$language category covers a lot of packages, but there
23 > will be always other ebuilds that uses $language in other categories.
24 >
25 > What do you think?
26 >
27 > Agostino
31 I can easily imagine a scenario where some pure perl package would fail
32 tests because one of indirect dependencies was compiled with clang
33 instead of gcc.
36 Best regards,
37 Alexey "DarthGandalf" Sokolov