From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, qa@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] useflag policies
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 16:34:59
Recently some team members of the Qt project have adopted these ebuild
policies: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Qt/Policies

I have an issue with the policy adopted under "Requires one of two Qt
versions". In my opinion, in the case where a package offers a choice
between qt4 or qt5, we should express this in explicit useflags and a
REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( qt4 qt5 )". This offers the user the clearest choice.

Other developers state that users are not interested in such implementation
details, or that forced choice through REQUIRED_USE is too much of a
hassle. This results in current ebuilds such as quassel to not make it
clear that qt4 is an option.

This goes against the principle of least surprise, as well as against QA
recommendations. I would like to hear specifically from QA about how we
should proceed, but comments from the wider developer community are also
welcome.

--
Cheers,

Ben | yngwin