From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, qa@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] useflag policies
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 16:34:59
1 Recently some team members of the Qt project have adopted these ebuild
2 policies: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Qt/Policies
3
4 I have an issue with the policy adopted under "Requires one of two Qt
5 versions". In my opinion, in the case where a package offers a choice
6 between qt4 or qt5, we should express this in explicit useflags and a
7 REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( qt4 qt5 )". This offers the user the clearest choice.
8
9 Other developers state that users are not interested in such implementation
10 details, or that forced choice through REQUIRED_USE is too much of a
11 hassle. This results in current ebuilds such as quassel to not make it
12 clear that qt4 is an option.
13
14 This goes against the principle of least surprise, as well as against QA
15 recommendations. I would like to hear specifically from QA about how we
16 should proceed, but comments from the wider developer community are also
17 welcome.
20 Cheers,
21
22 Ben | yngwin