From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 22:58:29
1 On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 09:53:25PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > > here is the udev 181 unmasking news item.
4 > >
5 > > If all goes well, this will be committed to the tree ?on 3/14 UTC.
6 >
7 > I guess this might be OK for unstable, but before this goes stable we
8 > really need to improve the docs around this. As far as I can tell
9 > neither the genkernel nor dracut docs have specific instructions about
10 > how to handle mounting /usr. Since having a separate /usr is often
11 > the result of having a more complex configuration (nfs, lvm, mdraid,
12 > etc), instructions explaining how things work and how to handle
13 > variations is pretty important. Perhaps genkernel automagically does
14 > the right thing in some cases, but I know that dracut does not unless
15 > you properly configure it. I doubt either tool will handle more
16 > complex situations without some scripting.
17 With the new versions of genkernel as specified in the news item, you do
18 NOT need any specific instructions about /usr. Just upgrade your
19 genkernel and openrc, and (re)build your initramfs, done.
20
21 > Again, this is likely more of a concern before this is stabilized.
22 > However, knowing what I went through to get my bind-mounted /usr on
23 > LVM+mdraid working with dracut, I can imagine that any unstable users
24 > with tricky setups could face a fun weekend.
25 Your bind-mount /usr and a symlink at /usr to /home/usr are the most
26 troublesome cases for genkernel that I'm aware of.
27
28 For both of those cases, just add extra lines to /etc/initramfs.mounts
29 should suffice your needs. I realized that I hadn't given much
30 documentation in that file, so I added a much more detailed example in
31 genkernel-3.4.25-r1.
32
33 If you could please test your LVM+MDRAID+bind-mount setup with
34 genkernel-3.4.25-r1, I'd like to know your results.
35 genkernel --lvm --mdadm should cover most of it.
38 Robin Hugh Johnson
39 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
40 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
41 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85