From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] question regarding inherit
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:56:18
1 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Friday 04 June 2004 03:53, foser wrote:
3 >
4 >>>On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 19:41 +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>>On 06/03/04 Aron Griffis wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>>>I'm under the impression that this is bad. Could somebody please
9 >>>>>verify and explain for the sake of people on this list. This
10 >>>>>particular example appears in the libxslt ebuilds, but the kde ebuilds
11 >>>>>make use of a similar syntax:
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>> use python && inherit python
14 >>>>
15 >>>>Bad because it breaks the cache. Depending on the status of the python
16 >>>>flag *on the rsync master* the cache settings are or are not modified by
17 >>>>the python.eclass and could be completely different from the values the
18 >>>>cache should have for the user. That's also the case for other cache
19 >>>>variables like DEPEND, SRC_URI or SLOT, if you make them conditional on
20 >>>>the environment it's likely that the cache values are wrong for some
21 >>>>people.
22 >>>
23 >>>The problem is that it shouldn't be a problem to do things like this,
24 >>>it's portage that makes it problematic. It is not obvious why this is
25 >>>problematic, so situations like these are going to pop up time and time
26 >>>again. In my opinion this need to be fixed in portage, not necessarily
27 >>>in the ebuilds/eclasses. And yeah, i'm talking here without any
28 >>>knowledge of portage cache handling, ideal world type of talk.
31 > Three options:
32 >
33 > 1) Drop portage caching altogether.
34 > 2) Separate the global section into a separate non-bash file with new syntax.
35 > 3) Make everything constant in the global section of ebuilds.
36 >
37 > #1 is definately not acceptable at this stage as dep calculation time would
38 > take about 50 times as long. #2 is probably the best but offers no short term
39 > solution. Which leaves #3.
40
41 In the Perl Portage clone I was working on, I originally didn't use caching and
42 it could generate a (mostly) correct deptree for xfree faster than Portage
43 could. Adding support for Portage's cache only shaved off about .2 seconds.
46 Andrew Gaffney
47 Network Administrator
48 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.
49 636-357-1548