From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-1.0 rc4 pre2 on cd
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 09:22:11
1 On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 08:20:03PM +1200, Kevin Gordon wrote:
2 > Hi Daniel,
3 > I burnt the CD on the 20th February this year and used ext2 which works
4 > fine. I hoped to move my COM+ studies to CORBA programming but once one
5 > starts with linux it is difficult to get back to the original goal! Thank
6 > you for your past help.
7 > Kevin.
8
9 > > > #tar xjvf /mnt/distcd/packages/sys.tbz2 -C /mnt/gentoo the computer
10 > > > completely locks up (at various stages - one at which I think was almost
11 > > > finished).
12
13 If you are gettting random lockups, then you probably have a bad CPU or flaky
14 memory. You may want to try the memtest86 memory tester which was included
15 on our bootdisk as a GRUB boot option.
16
17 But *random* lockups definitely point towards a hardware problem.
20 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
21 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
22 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.