From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] an official Gentoo wiki
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 23:37:39
1 On 04/03/10 16:46, Ben de Groot wrote:
2 >> I propose to use MediaWiki.
3 >
4 > As I said in my other post, MediaWiki and MoinMoin should, in my
5 > opinion, be on our shortlist to consider.
6
7 My vote on MediaWiki, too.
8
9 (I do like DokuWiki better for personal things but mediaWiki seems the
10 best choice for a project this large.)
11
12 Btw was it Fedora having moved from MoinMoin to MediaWiki?
13 I remember something like that, could be erring though.
16 >> Here's another idea:
17 >> The German Wikipedia uses a concept called "sighted revisions". If you
18 >> visit an article without logging in you will see the latest sighted
19 >> revision, as an identified user you can also view the latest revision.
20 >
21 > That's an interesting idea, which we should consider.
22
23 I'm not sure if that a thing to go for. Drawbacks:
24 - More work (whereas we could use more manpower already)
25 - New bottlenecks
26
27 Couldn't we just make two big "namespaces"
28
29 'devs' -- Developers only
30 'registered' -- Full edit access to any registered user
31
32 in the same wiki and have pages be in either namespace, reflecting the
33 namespace in the page name or path somehow?
34
35 I expect that to be
36 - easy to implement
37 - providing a good mix of openness and quality control
40 > GuideXML documents are often experienced as an unnecessary
41 > barrier.
42
43 I think you should clearly state again that this is not gonna replace
44 GuideXML, just migrate a few use cases where a wiki fits better.
45 This is what you aim for, right?
49 Sebastian