From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Mike Kelly <pioto@×××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 27 Proposal - Feedback Requested
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 12:04:33
1 On Monday 29 May 2006 23:29, Mike Kelly wrote:
2 > In particular, I know that at one point there was a push for the user
3 > info files to be XML
4
5 not really, it was just an idea i had at the time ... ive been over it a few
6 times since with the portage guys and it makes no real sense to do it in xml
7
8 also, current GLEP 27 should say nothing of xml
9
10 > , but I think it may be easier to implement them as
11 > simple shell variable files (like /etc/conf.d/*),
12
13 using shell variables just leads to quoting problems
14
15 > since my plan was to
16 > write the core of the implementation in shell (e.g. as an eclass).
17
18 i fail to see where eclasses play any role in the scheme of things
19
20 the point of having all the logic in portage is that ebuilds need not care
21 about anything
22
23 > My proposal is available at:
24 > <http://www.pioto.org/~pioto/gentoo/soc2006/glep27-proposal.txt>. Any
25 > feedback would be appreciated; I wanna get things started on the right
26 > foot.
27
28 we shouldnt give a way to add extra custom options since we're back to square
29 one in terms of portability (useradd is only used on GNU systems, not
30 Darwin/BSD)
31
32 the current format last time i bugged the portage peeps was simple:
33 key: value
34 -mike