From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC][NEW] Utility to find orphaned files
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:04:05
1 * Daniel Pielmeier <billie@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 > What about searching the complete file system but using an exclude file where
4 > you can put directories and files which should not be searched. It is tedious to
5 > tell every path on the command-line. Also for instance if you specify /lib it
6 > will also search under /lib/modules and I am sure you do not consider all
7 > contents there as unneeded.
8
9 hmm, perhaps there's some way to assign these files to some package ?
10
11 > You also need to consider that your tool will return other false positives like
12 > byte compiled python modules and perl header files. In general everything an
13 > ebuild does in phases where it adds files to file-system but files are not
14 > stored to CONTENTS (pkg_{pre,post}inst). At this point the files are needed but
15 > not recognized by the package manager. If the ebuild does not take care of this
16 > files when removing (pkg_{pre,post}rm) the package they will remain on the
17 > file-system and are now unneeded.
18
19 Assuming these files are not optional/temporary (aka: can be regenerated on
20 the fly), I see a generic design problem here: everything belonging to some
21 package (excluding content data and configs, of course) should be assigned
22 to the package.
23
24 The big Q: how can we achieve this ?
27 cu
28 --
30 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
32 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
33 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
34 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
35 http://patches.metux.de/