From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] openrc: oldnet vs newnet
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:16:38
1 All,
2
3 I want to start a new thread since the discussion on openrc is centering
4 on whether we should use oldnet, newnet, or keep both.
5
6 The drawback I see for newnet is that it does not allow the user to
7 control each interface separately, so if you want to cycle one interface
8 for some reason, this is not doable in that setup. I agree this is a
9 serious drawback. Oldnet addresses this by having a separate script for
10 each interface.
11
12 The thing I do not like about oldnet is the way it handles wifi and
13 dynamic interfaces by running dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant on each
14 interface instead of running a global instance of them so that they can
15 control the interfaces themselves.
16
17 On my laptop, I have net.lo in the boot runlevel,
18 and I start wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd in the default runlevel. In that
19 setup, there is no need for any net.wlan* interface scriptss, because
20 dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant manage everything.
21
22 Can pppd be set up to run standalone like wpa_supplicant can and manage
23 the ppp portion of the interface? Do the dhcp clients recognize ppp
24 interfaces? Afaik, there is no way for me to test this since I haven't
25 had a ppp interface for years, and I do not know of a way to simulate
26 one.
27
28 what about pppoe? Can it work the same way I am running wpa_supplicant?
29
30 If all of this can work, why not come up with a new version of oldnet
31 that uses this type of setup?
32
33 William