From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] openrc: oldnet vs newnet
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:16:38
All,

I want to start a new thread since the discussion on openrc is centering
on whether we should use oldnet, newnet, or keep both.

The drawback I see for newnet is that it does not allow the user to
control each interface separately, so if you want to cycle one interface
for some reason, this is not doable in that setup.  I agree this is a
serious drawback.  Oldnet addresses this by having a separate script for
each interface.

The thing I do not like about oldnet is the way it handles wifi and
dynamic interfaces by running dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant on each
interface instead of running a global instance of them so that they can
control the interfaces themselves.

On my laptop, I have net.lo in the boot runlevel,
and I start wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd in the default runlevel.  In that
setup, there is no need for any net.wlan* interface scriptss, because
dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant manage everything.

Can pppd be set up to run standalone like wpa_supplicant can and manage
the ppp portion of the interface?  Do the dhcp clients recognize ppp
interfaces?  Afaik, there is no way for me to test this since I haven't
had a ppp interface for years, and I do not know of a way to simulate
one.

what about pppoe?  Can it work the same way I am running wpa_supplicant?

If all of this can work, why not come up with a new version of oldnet
that uses this type of setup?

William