From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o>
To: John Robinson <strider@××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mozilla: Firebird-bin & Firebird-cvs
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:02:19
1 On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 09:31:01AM -0400, John Robinson wrote:
2 >
3 > If I'm not mistaken, LS outputs color input (if it's told to) all the
4 > time, and it is filtered by other programs. Maybe a shell programmer can
5 > comment, 'cause I'm not much of one, but is there a way to ascertain the
6 > context in which a script is run? I didn't think there was one.
9 you can detect a terminal on a file descriptor with test -t (help test
10 if you use bash)
11
12 ls uses --color=auto, to show colour only if stdout is a tty,
13 --color=always to show colour no matter what.
17 taviso@××××××××××××.org | finger me for my gpg key.
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list