From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmasking modular X
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:08:34
1 On Wednesday 25 January 2006 17:43, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "broken" in the first paragraph nor
4 > > how a check can help with unmaintained (=no commits, no?) packages, but if
5 > > a repoman check will hasten package porting while smoothing the users'
6 > > ride, I'm personally all for it.
7 >
8 > By "broken" I mean unported. In other words, directly depending on
9 > either virtual/x11 or x11-base/xorg-x11. The check will help discover
10 > unmaintained packages by not allowing people to do flyby fixes without
11 > also fixing this.
12 >
13 > What can I do to speed up the process of getting this into a 2.1
14 > release? Keep in mind my python is beyond bad.
15
16 Perhaps not so easy. What specific states need to be checked for to regard a
17 package as broken? Depending on "x11-base/xorg-x11" is one. Depending on
18 "virtual/x11" seems to be valid looking at the porting guide though. Would
19 considering a package broken if it contains "virtual/x11" where the token
20 immediately preceding the surrounding brackets is not "||" be correct?
21
22 DEPEND="x11-base/xorg-x11" # wrong
23 DEPEND="virtual/x11" # wrong
24 DEPEND="|| ( x11? ( virtual/x11 ) )" # wrong
25 DEPEND="|| ( misc/atoms virtual/x11 )" # right
26
27 There's a small possibility that broken packages will be missed by this, but
28 is there any chance that valid packages will be incorrectly flagged? If this
29 gets a go-ahead, it'll be easy enough to get in for the next release (which
30 is likely this coming Saturday).
33 Jason Stubbs
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list