From: Oskari Pirhonen <xxc3ncoredxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Global USE flags for sound notifications (libcanberra) and global hotkeys (keybinder)
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 00:16:13
1 On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 07:49:49 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I think we've passed the threshold for making two USE flags global:
5 >
6 > - sound notification support (usually via libcanberra)
7 >
8 > - global hotkey support (usually via keybinder)
9 >
10 > I don't have a strong opinion on flag names.
13 > For sound notification, I've found that:
14 >
15 > - 7 packages use "libcanberra" as the name
16 >
17 > - 1 package uses "sound-notification" (and implements it using
18 > libcanberra)
21 USE=sound-notification is nice and descriptive, but it feels a bit
22 awkward being so long. Looking at some of the descriptions for the
23 "libcanberra" flag on p.g.o, the most popular one seems to be:
24
25 Enable sound event support using media-libs/libcanberra
26
27 Perhaps USE=sound-events? It's a bit shorter but just as descriptive.
30 > For global hotkey support, I've found that:
31 >
32 > - 4 packages use "keybinder"
33 >
34 > - 1 package uses "hotkeys" but it doesn't use keybinder and I'm not 100%
35 > sure it's the same feature
38 Maybe something like USE=keybind?
39
40 These names are also nice and implementation-agnostic :)
41
42 - Oskari