From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Tomáš Chvátal" <scarabeus@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in x11-libs/libva: ChangeLog libva-1.0.10.ebuild
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 22:39:23
1 On Monday, May 09, 2011 12:25:18 PM Matt Turner wrote:
2 > 2011/4/29 Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>:
3 > > 2011/3/9 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>:
4 > >> As for the reasons: "its the fdo version + a debian/patches dir with,
5 > >> heh, some fixes and improvements I'm using..."
6 > >
7 > > So, the SDS version is simply the freedesktop version with a few
8 > > patches on top? So, the freedesktop version is actually... upstream?
9 > >
10 > > We patch plenty of things in Gentoo. Why are we depending on SDS to do
11 > > that for us?
12 > >
13 > > Matt
14 >
15 > So...? Why are we shipping this version when it seems to be just the
16 > upstream version + patches? People on the X11 team already have commit
17 > access to freedesktop, and by extension, libva, so if the patches are
18 > reasonable we could just commit them ourselves. Why are we bothering
19 > with this SDS version?
20
21 maybe your answer is in the readme :)
22 http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/libva/patches/000_README
23
24 some of them are needed, some of them are useful, some we could certainly
25 drop. If the most important patches could go upstream then, again, I'm all for
26 going to fdo, but I'm not that enthusiastic about it (e.g. fdo git still
27 installs the test programs, they make """releases""" that don't even build,
28 etc...).
29
30 If it's for maintaining my own patchset with the sds patches then I prefer
31 using sds directly :) We could start excluding some sds patches to stop
32 applying them, bringing us closer to fdo though, it's just I don't see the
33 need. Feel free to propose me somes to drop with justifications ;)
37 > You weren't kidding about not being on IRC. !seen aballier says 7 months
38 > ago.
39
40 Heh ;)
41