From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] New policy: LDFLAGS should be respected
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:46:08
1 On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:15:03 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 > In particular, --as-needed makes a HUGE very practical difference.
4 > It may or may not be the wrong answer to the problem in theory, but
5 > lacking anything even close to as workable right now, that alone is
6 > IMO reason enough to work to get LDFLAGS honored. I appreciate the
7 > difference it made here every time I run revdep-rebuild!
8
9 Ignoring CFLAGS on some archs results in code that is either an order
10 of magnitude slower or just plain won't run. Ignoring LDFLAGS means on
11 those rare occasions when libraries aren't slotted properly you have to
12 rebuild a few more things.
13
14 Rather a large difference in impact there...
18 Ciaran McCreesh