From: Donny Davies <woodchip@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] apache.eclass proposed
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 03:02:15
1 Ned Ludd wrote:
2 >The means by which the DocumentRoot is found is actually pretty elegant
3 >and the functionality of that can easily be placed in an eclass. I'd
4 >consider this a big plus in terms of usability. As you're pointing out,
5 >/var/www is the FHS compliant place to put the documentroot anyway, so
6 >I'm not sure why we're being like RedHat in this respect.
7
8 I would strongly advise you to get your facts straight before
9 rolling through here muttering something like that. This is not
10 correct. I'm afraid you need to do some remedial reading on the
11 situation.
12
13 You may want to visit http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ where you
14 can learn that there *IS* no standard for this. And as such,
15 the location in which to install Apache and other web-related
16 files, is simply nothing more the opinion of the person you're
17 currently talking to. The current FHS version doesnt address
18 this area. I havent looked at any of the work in progress for
19 FHS 2.3 by the way; perhaps there's new developments there?
20
21 If you want even more standards, then please open your
22 config.layout file, distributed with the Apache source code,
23 and well, take your pick from several more "standards".
24
25 >At the very least, why don't we make the httpd user's home directory
26 >/var/www? Alas, if we did so we would still require detection routines
27 >for currently installed systems.
28
29 There are other reasons to use this location, but none of them
30 to do with FHS. :-)
31
32 As for the apache2 USE flag; I made it so that the mod_php
33 ebuild didnt have to *guess* at which API to build the DSO
34 for. I've talked with Robin about this, and we'd both very
35 much like to see it "go away". It's nasty.
38 Robin H.Johnson wrote:
39 >Having both installed simultaneously is a very messy business already,
40 >as they both use /home/httpd, and contain binaries with identical names.
41
42 They are configured to serve from the same DocumentRoot. I
43 didnt want to introduce *another* docroot. They'll overwrite
44 some icons from the other's install. I assume those who
45 really, really want those default ASF icons from the other
46 version, can figure out howto get them from the tarball.
47 Same for the default introduction pages. Is this a big
48 deal? What binaries are you talking about? I took
49 pains to SLOT=2 Apache2, Im not aware of any binaries
50 getting overwritten.
51
52 As for the eclass, it's obviously a natural progression.
53 I have not attempted to create one yet because I dont
54 really have a great idea for what functions it should
55 provide. The very basic ones proposed were simply not
56 enough to convince me to add this yet. If they were
57 I would have added one months ago. What other functions
58 would be desired from an web-related eclass? I'm not
59 *completely* and outright opposed to the stuff proposed,
60 Im just saying it's weak, and well, it certainly isnt
61 a sic "way to totally and easily manage the whole
62 Apache config" as somebody else mentioned. Far from
63 it.
64
65 Further, Im not of the opinion that having a "bonifide"
66 location in which to install these files on a Gentoo
67 system (/home/httpd/{htdocs,cgi-bin} is a BAD idea,
68 and having them just the way they are now at least
69 provides this.
70
71 Donny.
75 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list