From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Gentoo vs GNU toolchain (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags)
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:19:56
1 On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 04:03:26PM -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > Harald van Dijk wrote:
3 > >On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 09:42:20PM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
4 > >>On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 21:06:18 +0200
5 > >>Harald van Dijk <truedfx@g.o> wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >>>The GNU toolchain is not supported by Gentoo, and in fact gets
8 > >>>actively broken with unsupported command-line options. Only the GNU
9 > >>>toolchain as modified by Gentoo's toolchain guys is supported,
10 > >>>unfortunately.
11 > >>What exactly is it about the toolchain supplied with Gentoo that causes
12 > >>you problems?
13 > >
14 > >I don't have a lot of trust in Gentoo's patches, as they have resulted
15 > >in completely and utterly unusable ld, and (minor) data loss due to a
16 > >miscompilation by Gentoo's gcc, in the past. Also, being able to check
17 > >whether your own software compiles with a GNU toolchain is to me a good
18 > >thing.
19 >
20 > Isn't this why gcc et al support the "vanilla" USE flag?
21
22 Gentoo's gcc with the vanilla flag isn't the official GCC. Most patches
23 don't get appplied, but some do. Plus, gcc[vanilla] isn't a supported
24 compiler in Gentoo.
25 --
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list