From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for advanced useflag-syntax
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 13:32:07
1 * Noack, Sebastian <S.Noack@××××××××××.de> schrieb:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > Hey, come on. We're not Debian! Unnecessary and senseless
6 > splitting of packages is against the philosophy of Gentoo.
7
8 I don't think "we are not xyz" is a good argumentation in
9 technical discussions.
10
11 At this point, Debian is actually doing good work. The bad thing is
12 that those things don't get neither into the upstrem nor other
13 distros. That's exactly what my OSS-QM project is for.
14
15 <snip>
16
17 > > > (kde || qt4 || qt3 || qt || gtk) (arts || alsa) (asf && win32codecs)
18 > >
19 > > IMHO unnecessary complexity which introduces more point of failure
20 > > and confusion.
21 >
22 > At the first sight this approach seems to add complexity, but actual it
23 > would remove a lot of complexity on Gentoo systems. For example on my
24 > own system here I have approx. 40 lines in my /etc/portage/package.use
25 > which could be reduced to less than 10 lines by using such a syntax like
26 > above in the /etc/make.conf for global useflag configuration.
27
28 You shouldn't mix up quantity with complexity.
29
30 If you make handling of badly designed code easier, you take presure
31 from the actual developers.
32
33 <snip>
34
35 > > With you suggestion, the package maintainers have to take care of
36 > > Grandma's special conditions. This shouldn't be their job.
37 > >
38 > > Granma's Box cries for an special Grandma-Distro, Grandma-Gentoo !
39 > > This should be maintained by an separate team, which is specialized
40 > > on the needs of those users.
41 >
42 > In the described scenario, it wasn't mentioned that she has a
43 > grandchild, so where do you know from that she is a grandma? ;)
44
45 So no special Grandma-support is needed at all.
46
47 <snip>
48
49 > Doesn't matter, btw it was in any case just an example where such
50 > a syntax would be useful. Another szenario would be a server with
51 > several database-based apps on it, where an expression like
52 > "(postgres || mysql)" might be useful.
53
54 Aehm, you hopefully know that they don't have very much in common.
55 Please give me an example, where this would be should be useful.
56
57 RDBMS'es aren't actually things we you could say "choose what you
58 like, doesn't matter which one". Yeah, would be nice if it was
59 so, but that's just a nice dream.
62 cu
63 --
65 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
67 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
68 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
69 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
70 http://patches.metux.de/
72 --
73 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list