From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Underscores in USE flags
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 16:11:57
1 On Fri, 2019-09-20 at 11:46 -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > Recently, a large number of bugs were filed against packages that have
3 > USE flag names which contain underscores. Apparently PMS prohibits
4 > this except when the USE flag is part of a USE_EXPAND variable.
5 >
6 > https://projects.gentoo.org/pms/7/pms.html#x1-200003.1.4
7 >
8 > I'm not certain when this text was added to PMS, or how many of the
9 > affected USE flags pre-date this policy.
10 >
11 > Portage seems to have no issue dealing with underscores, so this
12 > doesn't seem to be solving any technical problem.
13 >
14 > I am pretty sure that renaming a bunch of USE flags will cause some
15 > amount of end-user confusion, for very little benefit. Is enforcing
16 > this part of PMS really worth it?
17
18 And having packages with pretended-USE_EXPAND-that-does-not-work-as-
19 USE_EXPAND is less confusing to the users?
22 Best regards,
23 Michał Górny