From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Inquiry about research paper
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 21:19:41
1 On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:19:54 +0900
2 Jaewon Choi <1500084@×××××××××.kr> wrote:
3
4 > 8) Is there anything else you would like to tell me about systemd?
5
6 Side note, as its not clear from the nature of the question if this factor is
7 known:
8
9 Gentoo is one of the few distributions that supports *not* using systemd,
10 or using systemd, at the users discretion.
11
12 Reasonable amounts of effort is employed to make this possible, including
13 forking `udev` out of systemd as `eudev`, so that users can have a systemd-free
14 openrc implementation.
15
16 And I believe that the `eudev + openrc` approach is the default user experience
17 and users have to consciously opt to use systemd instead if they desire it.
18
19 Subsequently, you may find the Gentoo audience an atypical sample, in that
20 many of its users or devs may be naive about systemd, or atypically anti-systemd
21
22 And you may get weird sampling biases if the users who don't use systemd read
23 the questions as stated, because they may be disinclined to respond due to lack
24 of relevancy to them ( due to naivety ), or may be over-inclined to respond due
25 to strong opinions for, or against.
26
27 By all means, continue to ask questions, but do take extra cautions here in
28 result interpretation from Gentoo.