From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: Eric Noack <eric.noack@×××.de>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Too little, too late.
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:30:26
1 On Friday 25 October 2002 06:36 pm, Eric Noack wrote:
2 > Oh yeah <g>. i was in /tmp and wanted to delete everything there
3 >
4 > so i did
5 > rm -rf *
6 >
7 > just so see that all "hidden" dirs and files in there still where there ;-(
8 >
9 > so i thought i was extremely! intelligent and typed
10 >
11 > rm -rf .*
12 >
13 > to delete all "hidden" files and dirs, starting with a dot
14 >
15 > yeah all of them!
16 >
17 > like . and .. for example
18
19 That exact mistake bit me on a old Sun OS 4.x box a few years ago ... cost me
20 a weekend to recover that system (it was a production box ... visions of my
21 young career, all of 3 weeks old, dying a quick death danced through my
22 aching head).
23
24 It is definitely a right of passage ... :-)
25
26 I *think* the GNU file utilities have fixed that behavior (though I'd try it
27 in a sandbox to make sure), so that 'rm .*' does not try to delete . or ..
28 anymore, but of course if you get used to that, then transition to a non-GNU
29 UNIX syste ...
30
31 Jean.